She studied Mathematics and Cybernetics in State University of Moldova (1975 – 1980) and Public Administration in Academy of Public Administration (1996 – 1999).
Since 1986 she is engaged in the political and women’s movement and has been active in fostering children’s rights and the development of NGOs and civil society in Moldova.
From 1998 – 2001: Member of Parliament in the Republic of Moldova
- Commission for Social Protection, Health and Family; spearheaded efforts to analyze the social security system and elaborate and promote pension reform
- Promoted and vigorously fought for the adoption of the Law on Reproductive Rights, which legalized a woman’s right to choose.
From 1993 – 2002: President of the Executive Board, Christian-Democratic League of Women CDLW. It was the first democratic womens’ socio-political organization in the Republic of Moldova. It had a dual mission: 1. to unify women in the political process of building a democratic state (post independence from USSR) and 2., to provide help to underprivileged groups and combat poverty.
From 1999 - present: Co-founder, Executive Director, former President “Political Club of Women 50/50” with its mission to create a democratic society in wich men and women participate equally in the decision-making processes.
From 2001 – present: President of Foundation AGAPEDIA Moldova – with its mission to prevent child abandonment, protect children at risk and provide effective social services.
The foundation achieves its mission via three key activities:
1. Services and support for vulnerable families in order to prevent child abandonment, by providing European standards in childcare and to promote the principle of “a family for a child” in the adoption process;
2. Centre SocioMed – provides family planning services and seeks to prevent child abandonment; provides women’s healthcare services to vulnerable groups;
3. Project “Home Care” – provides home care services and education in rural areas.